If you’re struggling with lack of energy, stress or poor sleep; if you’re too tired to work out or feeling uncomfortable in your body, then a major first step may be to clean up your diet.
These few simple steps will big a big difference in a short period of time:
Just eat whole, unprocessed, clean, real food!!
Avoid processed, refined, chemically-laden, packaged, GMO’d , deep-fried and adulterated “food” products.
Emphasize the Anti-Stress foods:
- Protein (20 – 30 grams, 3x/day) – amino acids form the building blocks of mood and memory neurotransmitters
- Fat – saturated fat is OK! Shorter-chain fats keep blood sugar stable – olive oil; butter; whole eggs; whole, raw, organic dairy; avoid trans fats (processed vegetable oils); reduce Omega-6s, increase Omega-3s
- Veggies & some Fruits – 8 – 10 servings/day, lots of greens, rainbow of colours, low Glycemic-Load, high in fiber
Eat slowly, mindfully, without distractions.
Ask your body: Will this food energize and nourish me, or will it create stress and dis-ease?
Your body knows what it needs to feel healthy. Take some time (meditation!) to listen.
Identify and remove “hidden” food allergies
The most common are sugar, dairy, gluten, eggs, tree nuts, as well as food dyes. And these are often what we crave!
Your adrenals will need basic nutrients that are used up at a tremendous rate when stressed:
- Vitamins C, Bs, D
- Magnesium & Calcium
- Omega 3s
- Natural relaxants: GABA, taurine, kava, valerian, hops, passionflower, magnesium
- 5-HTP, tryptophan, St John’s Wort for stress due to depleted serotonin
- For cravings – Chromium to balance blood sugar, L-glutamine (an amino acid to curb cravings)
Not eating creates more stress
It puts the body into starvation mode, so chronic dieting is very stressful!