(Adapted from a recipe from LA CUISINE DE MARTHE, Paris, France)
While I try for the most part to be sugar and dairy free, every once in awhile, it’s nice to have a treat. Such as on your birthday … or maybe a friend’s birthday!
Here is a delicious, not too sweet, gluten-free Chocolate Fondant Cake. Only 2 Tbsp of flour (I used brown rice flour, but others will work just as well), very little sugar – in this case coconut sugar rather than refined white sugar, and OK, there is certainly some butter, but after all this is a French recipe!
So without the usual cups of flour, where does the body come from? Six egg whites beaten to soft peaks, and carefully folded into the cake!
You can select your choice of toppings: instead of icing or icing sugar, try a coconut cream plus your favourite berries or fresh fruit.
I first tasted and had a hand in making this cake when I took a French Cuisine cooking class in Paris. How appropriate then to make this cake in honour of the birthday of my friend Diana, who was my host for 12 wonderful days in France last fall!
¾ cup butter, unsalted
½ cup cacao powder, unsweetened
6 large eggs
2 Tbsp brown rice flour
¾ cup coconut sugar
½ cup coconut cream (from a can of full fat coconut milk, drain the liquid)
1 cup sliced strawberries
(Optional topping: About 2 tablespoons icing sugar for decoration or flaked almonds)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Butter a 9 ½ inch (24 cm) non-stick cake pan, or line with parchment paper.
- Carefully separate the eggs, putting the yolks in a medium bowl, and the whites in a large bowl.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the sugar.
- Place a pan over simmering water (or low heat) to melt the butter. Stir in the cacao powder. Then set the mixture aside to cool.
- Once the butter/cacao cools, whisk it into the egg yolks/sugar mixture. Then slowly (a bit at a time) whisk in the flour.
- Beat the egg whites in a large bowl just until they form firm peaks.
- Add one-third of the egg whites to the chocolate batter and mix vigorously. Gently fold in the remaining whites.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake until the cake is firm and springy (23 – 26 min.). Cool at room temperature.
- Top with coconut cream and arrange the strawberries.
- Option: Dust the cake with the icing sugar, flaked almonds, or add an icing.